- Any student under the age of 25 years (as on date of filling of nomination paper who otherwise fulfills the eligibility criteria prescribed for the purpose can contest the elections to the different posts of the office bearers and class representative of the Students Union and Sister Associations.
- Written nominations to such elections in the prescribed format duly signed, proposed and seconded by the bonafide students shall reach the Election Officer on such date and time as may be fixed by the Principal, Lingaraj Law College for the purpose. The nomination papers shall be accompanied by the attested copies of the HSC/CBSE/ICSE or equivalent thereof in support of proof of date of birth of the candidate.
- Every eligible member of the Students Union has a right to vote in the election. No member shall cast more than one vote for each of the offices to be filled-up.
- The election shall be conducted by means of secret ballot and votes shall be recorded and attested in such manner as the Election Committee determine.
- The candidate obtaining the highest number of votes shall be declared elected.
- In case of equality of votes, the election of the successful candidates shall be decided by lots.
- Candidates shall have the right to request in writing on the spot for recounting within half an hour of the declaration of the results. The Principal, Lingaraj Law College may order for recounting on the basis of such written request by the candidate, if there is a difference of only 5 (five) or less votes in respect of any election. In no case, the ballot papers once declared as invalid shall be considered for recounting.
- The official expenditure on elections to the Students Union and Sister Associations shall be shared out of the funds of the Students Union and other two Sister Associations on 50:25:25 basis.
Eligibility criteria for candidates
- The bonafide students of Lingaraj Law College within the age of 25 years (i.e. must be under twenty-five years of age as on the date of filing of the nomination paper) are eligible to contest in the elections.
- A candidate should in no event have any academic arrears in the year of contesting the election.
- The candidate should have obtained the minimum percentage of attendance i.e. 75% .
- A candidate shall have one opportunity to contest for the post of office bearer of the Students Union and Sister Associations and two opportunities to contest for the post of the Executive Body Member of the Students Union and Sister Associations.
- A candidate shall not have a previous criminal record (that is to say, he should not have been tried and /or convicted of any criminal offence or misdemeanor) and shall also not have been subject to any disciplinary action by the Lingaraj Law College. The candidate has to submit an affidavit to that effect one day prior to the publication of the valid nominations during official hours failing which his / her nomination will be declared invalid.
Election related Expenditure & financial Accountability
- The maximum permitted expenditure per candidate (to be spent in connection with the election) shall be Rs. 5000/- (Rupees five thousand Only).
- Each candidate shall, within two weeks of declaration of result, submit complete and certified (to be certified by the candidate) accounts to the Principal, Lingaraj Law College and such certified accounts shall be notified within two days of its submission in the Notice Board of the College for information of all concerned.
- The election of the candidate will be fulfilled in the event of any noncompliance or in the event of any excessive expenditure of violation of above rules.
- With the view to prevent the inflow of funds from political parties into the student election process, the candidates are specially barred from utilising funds from any other sources than voluntary contributions from the student body.
Code of Conduct for Candidates and Elections Administrators
- The Students Union and other Sister Associations shall be completely apolitical.
- No candidate shall indulge in, nor shall abet, any activity, which may aggravate existing differences or create mutual ;hatred or cause tension between different castes and communities, religious or linguistic, or between any group (s) of students.
- Criticism of other candidates, when made, shall be confined to their policies and programmes, past record and work, candidates shall refrain from criticism of all aspects of private life not connected with the public activities of the other candidates or supporters of such other candidates. Criticism of other candidates or their supporters based on unverified allegations or distortion shall be avoided.
- There shall be no appeal to caste or communal feelings for securing votes. Places of worship, within or outside the College premises shall not be used for election propaganda.
- All candidates shall be prohibited from indulging or abetting, all activities which are considered to be "corrupt practices" and offences, such as bribing of voters, intimidating of voters, impersonation of voters, canvassing or the use of "propaganda within 100 meters of polling booths, holding public meetings during the period of 24 hours ending with the hour fixed for the close of the poll, and the transport and conveyance of voters to and from polling booths".
- No candidate shall be permitted to make use of printed posters, printed pamphlets, or any other printed material for the purpose of canvassing. Candidates may only utilize handmade posters for purpose of canvassing, provided that such handmade posters are procured within the expenditure limit set out herein above.
- Candidates may only utilize handmade posters at certain places in the campus, which shall be notified in advance by the Principal, Lingaraj Law College.
- No candidate shall be permitted to carry out processions, or public meetings, or in any way canvass or distribute propaganda outside the College campus.
- Neither the candidate nor his / her supporters shall deface or cause any destruction to any property of the College campus, for any purpose whatsoever, without the prior written permission of the College authorities. All candidates shall be held jointly and severally liable for any destruction / defacing of any College property.
- During the election period the candidates may hold processions and/or public meetings provided that such processions and/or public meetings do not, in any manner, disturb the classes and other academic and co-curricular activities of the College. Further such procession/public meetings shall not be held without the prior written permission of the College authority.
- The use of loud speakers, vehicles and animals for the purpose of canvassing shall be strictly prohibited.
- Excepting the voters, no one without a valid pass letters of authority from the Election Committee or from the College authorities shall enter the polling booths.
- The Principal, Lingaraj Law College shall appoint impartial observers. If the candidates have any specific complaint or problem regarding the conduct of the elections they may bring the same to the notice of the observer(s)
- All candidates shall be jointly responsible for ensuring the clearing up of the polling area within 48 hours of the conclusion of polling.
- Contravention of any of the above provisions / rules may make the candidate liable to be stripeed of his candidature, or his elected post, as the case may be. The Principal, Lingaraj Law College may also take appropriate disciplinary action against such a violator.
- In addition to the above mentioned code of conduct certain provisions of the Indian Penal Code 1860 (Section 153-A and Chapter IX-A "Offences relating to Election") shall be made applicable to these elections.
Grievances Redressal Mechanism
- There should be a Grievance Redressal Cell with the Advisor, Students Union as its Chairman. In addition, one Senior faculty member, one Senior Administrative officer and two final year students (one boy and one girl) till the election results declared. Students can be nominated on the basis of merit and/or participation in the co-curricular activities in the previous year. The grievance cell shall be mandated with the redressal of election-related grievance, including, but not limited to breaches of the code of conduct of elections and complaints relating to election-related expenditure. This Cell would be the regular unit of the College (the detailed duties of the Grievance Redressal Cell will be notified by the Principal, Lingaraj Law College for information of all concerned)
Maintencance of Law and Order in the Campus during the Election Process
- Any instance of acute lawlessness or the commission of a criminal offences shall be reported to the policy by the College authorities as soon as possible but not later than 6 (six) hours after the alleged commission of the offence.
- All disputes with regard to the elections of the Students Union and other Sister Associations shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Civil Courts and legal forum at Berhampur (Ganjam), Odisha.
R. V. RAMAN MURTHY MEMORIAL AWARD
R.V.Raman Murthy Memorial Award is instituted in the fond memory of the late R.V.Raman Murthy, a distinguished lawyer of Berhampur in Orissa who passed away in 1941, at the relatively young age of 46, when he was at the peak of his career at the Bar. Late Sri R.V.Raman Murthy was one of the very first lawyers to appear before the Privy Council in London in 1931 while he was himself a young advocate in Berhampur known for his oratory and skills of advocacy. He was an engaging and humorous conversationalist with wide-ranging interest in music, Sanskrit literature and sports. In his memory a rolling Cricket tournament was conducted among the Colleges in Orissa in the 1940s and 1950s of the last century.
The award is instituted by his children, Srimati B. Raghunadha and his son Sri R.V.Krishna Rao, Advocate, Hyderabad, Prof. R.V.R.Chandrasekhar Rao, Former Vice-Chancellor of Dr. B.R.Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad, Sri R.S.V.Raman Murthy Lecturer of L.Bullaiah College, Visakhapatanam. The award shall be given to a student of Lingaraj Law College, who secure the highest marks at LL.B. examinations as per Univesity Rules.